Outside Employment Forms

  1. Who must annually fill out a form for outside employment and when should it be submitted?

    All regularly salaried faculty and staff must fill out an outside employment form on an annual basis regardless of whether or not they have outside employment to report. There is a specific form for Faculty and Academic Administrators [PDF] and a specific form for Regular Staff members [PDF].

  2. What is “outside employment"?

    "Outside employment" activities include any part-time employment, any self-employment, or any other compensated activity. With respect to regular salaried faculty, university policy specifically provides that this includes "any compensated consulting, advising, research, or teaching for other employers.” University Policy 60.5.8.

  3. If I am a regular salaried faculty member, do I include payments from external parties for scholarly presentations in the “outside employment” form and then again in the “scholarly capacity” form?

    No. No single activity should be reported on both forms.

    University Policy 60.5.8 provides clarity on this issue: “Not included in 'outside employment' is compensation for published or creative works in one’s field or honoraria for commissioned papers and occasional lectures.” Accordingly, if payments from external parties should be reported on the “scholarly capacity” form then they should not be reported on the outside employment form.

  4. What is the time period covered by outside employment form?

    For regular salaried faculty and academic administrators, the report covers the period listed on the requested report. 

    To the extent foreseeable, the form should also include expected outside employment activities for the current and ongoing fiscal year. Note: it is understood that any report of expected outside activity for the current and ongoing academic year is subject to change.

  5. Where should the outside employment form be filed?

    The outside employment form for a faculty member is submitted online through the Ethics Liaison Office. The form will be circulated to the chair and to the dean, and if applicable, to the chancellor. These officials, in turn, will forward the forms to the Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.

    The outside employment form for a staff member is submitted online through the Ethics Liaison Office. The form will be circulated to a designated reviewer or to University Human Resources.

  6. What if I am a regular salaried faculty or staff member, but I have no outside employment? Am I still required to file the form?

    Yes. If employees have no outside employment, they just indicate on the form that they have no outside employment.

  7. What if I do have outside employment to report?

    If you do have outside employment to report, then you should identify the employer or business, describe the nature of the outside activities undertaken, and indicate the time involved. Faculty and academic administrators should indicate whether income from the activity is $5,000 or more. Staff do not report whether an activity is $5,000 or more due the nature of their work.

    The form for faculty and academic administrators also asks for information regarding anticipated outside employment for the current and ongoing academic year.

  8. Why does the university want to know if an activity generates $5,000 or more?

    Federal law relating to disclosures to assure a lack of bias in the design, conduct, or reporting of research requires disclosure of whether an activity involves $5,000 or more. Accordingly, the university requires that faculty and academic administrators report whether any particular outside employment generates $5,000 or more in a fiscal year reporting period.

  9. What if I have an outside business but the business operates at a loss. Should I report this?

    Yes, self-employment or ownership and operation of a for-profit business should be reported regardless of profit or loss.

  10. Do I report all income?

    No. Not all income is the result of employment. For example, you would not list income from royalty distributions under the patent policy, payments from Social Security, child support, alimony, or payments received from the government for being a foster parent. The primary concern is income reported on your tax returns from another employer or company for whom you do consulting work.

  11. I do my consulting and outside activities through a Limited Liability Corporation formed for that purpose. Do I report these activities on the outside activities report?


  12. Can I run for elective office?

    Yes. Information is provided in University Policy 60.1.14 Employment of Current and Former Public Officials. However if you hold elective office then you must assure that those duties do not take so much time that you cannot perform your Rutgers duties. Moreover, if your position at Rutgers and your elective office involve interaction between Rutgers and that public body, then you should not participate in those interactions.

  13. Is it possible that my political and ideological views could be construed as a conflict by the university?

    No. This is a First Amendment issue. The university respects the rights of all faculty and staff to express themselves on matters of public importance. University employees, however, should take care not to give the impression they are speaking on behalf of the university. See University Policy 50.3.4 Electoral Political Activities and the Use of University Resources for more information.

  14. As a regular salaried full-time faculty member, do I need approval to teach a course for an outside employer?

    Yes. Faculty may on occasion teach courses or parts of courses at other institutions. (This is to be distinguished from more typical individual scholarly presentations, honorific lectures, seminars and the like.)

    Teaching a course at another institution may serve the interests of a Rutgers program by extending the influence of the faculty member and his or her program at Rutgers. However, teaching a course for another academic institution should not be undertaken if it does not serve the interests of the unit to which the faculty member belongs. For example, the ability of Rutgers to attract students to a university program might be undercut in some circumstances if a faculty member were to conduct significant teaching at a competing institution. Teaching at another institution could pose an ethical difficulty particularly if the faculty member were to also have a reduced teaching load at Rutgers. Accordingly, prior to accepting outside employment to teach a course at another institution, the faculty member must be certain that the assignment meets the interests of Rutgers, and must obtain the approval of the faculty member’s chair and dean.